Friday, March 31, 2006

Payphone Woes



Can you remember the last time you made a call from a payphone? I can. It was in Junior High after a basketball game and I needed my mom to come pick me up. I'm pretty sure that I was wearing my favorite outfit which involved a flannel vest, courdory shorts, navy tights, and hiking boots.

I took this photo on my way to work this morning and started chatting with my husband about the disappearance of the payphones. I and decided to do a little online research to look into the payphone and I've put together a list so that you can determine your role in the great payphone debate!
-For the world traveler: At Payphones of the World you can see a photo album of different phones all around the world.
-For the ludite (who happens to have internet access?): You can locate your nearest payphone using the Payphone Directory.
-For the anarchist: In The Anarachist's Cookbook you can learn how to steal money out of payphones.
-For the academic: You can read Wikipedia's Article on payphones as well as the online History of the Payphone.
-For the advocat: If you're looking for a cause to support, why not the payphone? You can join the Payphone Project. They are apparently the source for all things payphone on the web.
For the entrepeneur: Find out all the answers about starting your own payphone business using this FAQ.
For the socially concious: Check out the American Public Communications Council's arguments for the benefits of the payphone.

Posted by mea at 8:36 AM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger Denton posted at 12:40 PM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  2. Blogger Denton posted at 12:42 PM  
    I remember a great pay phone in Spain (in 1985) which required that you line your coins in a rack on the top. Then as you used up the next coin would fall in. This was actually very exciting when calling my mother, trying to carry on a conversation, while watching the time pass before my eyes.
  3. Blogger Litzner posted at 6:53 PM  
    flannel and hiking boots? were you influenced by the Grunge movement coming out of Seattle?
  4. Blogger midnitebara posted at 7:51 PM  
    oh yes, those phones are also disappearing over here.Mobile fones have become a neccesity to us. From today April 1, Japan has started a new service where in you can watch real time tv on your mobile phone. Of course we have to buy the latest model which costs a lot.
  5. Blogger Anne posted at 9:03 PM  
    Gosh i don't remember when I last used the payphone! It seems like ages ago!
  6. Blogger mea posted at 12:59 AM  
    Denton - Hmmm...using such a payphone to call your mother might be one of the most marketable features! "Mm, yeah. Oh, mom sorry, my last quarter just rolled in, you'll have to tell me about grandma's bunion surgery quick!"

    Litner - Who me? Besides, it's not like you ever complained ;).

    Midnitebara - I don't think you can watch realtime TV here...only pre-recorded, but who knows since it changes to quickly!
  7. Blogger EPLUIM posted at 7:44 AM  
    lovely bradford pear too! :)
    Happy Daffodil Festival day!
  8. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:41 AM  
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a race cars site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    See Ya There!!!
  9. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:58 PM  
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a pontiac site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    See Ya There!!!

Post a Comment

« Home