Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lichtenstein



Today's photo comes with an interesting history (that and I think Lichtenstein is one of the most fun words to say). I've probably eaten at this café two dozen times, and never noticed their front stoop until this last weekend. This is the entrance to Café Gutenberg, a café and book lounge near the 17th Street Market.

My curiousity was getting the best of me, so I emailed the café, and this is what I found out. According to Steve Graca, the proprietor of Café Gutenberg, the building was originally a peanut roastery opening in about 1913. These tiles were placed circa 1940 when new owners, the Lichtensteins, opened a pharmacy that remained in business for about 20 more years. The Main Street Grill came next and remained for 30 years (to which he added that he plans an equally long stint to his café).

I also discovered that they don't have any plans to change the tiles, which is a great plan in my opinion! Here in Richmond, there is hidden history all around. It turns out you just have to ask.

Posted by mea at 9:38 AM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger luminlight posted at 11:31 AM  
    Being a graphic designer, the photo lets me looks at type in a different way! Very nice photo!
  2. Blogger Kris posted at 1:40 AM  
    interesting history. And i like the photo,too :)
  3. Blogger Sam posted at 2:18 AM  
    I'm glad your curiosity got the better of you!
    These old tiles are lovely.
    And will probably be around a long time!
  4. Blogger EPLUIM posted at 5:19 AM  
    That's pretty cool but you are too funny! :)
  5. Blogger Kais posted at 12:53 AM  
    like honeycomb, that's good!
  6. Blogger mea posted at 1:03 AM  
    kais - Actually, these little tiles were extremely popular in the early part of the 20th century (when a lot of Richmond was built). You can find them everywhere, although many of them are today very damaged. In residential use they seem to generally appear in the bathroom, my current home has them, as did my first apartment, and every other original bathroom in Richmond that I've ever seen.
  7. Blogger Grant F posted at 4:28 AM  
    is there any link to the country?
  8. Blogger mea posted at 6:07 PM  
    grant- That was what I originally thought, but apparently it was just their last name.
  9. Blogger stiggs posted at 4:36 PM  
    This was infront of my great grandfather's store which i know very little about. Any more info anyone has would be appreciated

Post a Comment

« Home