Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Landmark Theatre


Sorry, for the late post today folks. St. Patrick's Day required a little bit a recovery time for me.

This is a photo of Richmond's Landmark Theatre, formerly known as "The Mosque." It was originally constructed by the Shriners in 1928 and has been owned by the city since 1940. It hosts a huge variety of programs from school proms and music competitions to Chippendale dancers to the Virginia Opera and Ballet.

My favorite part of the theatre is that it is entirely mosaic inside and as one might guess from the minarets atop the roof, is decorated entirely in Saracenic murals and patterns. It also has a ballroom, a pipe organ, and a swimming pool!

Posted by mea at 5:41 PM

7 Comments

  1. Blogger Nicola posted at 5:57 PM  
    Wow, the decorations sound great. Maybe you can show us pictures sometime.
  2. Blogger BloBoz posted at 12:46 AM  
    Hmm, isn't that the same place where 50 cent held his concert last year?
  3. Blogger Sam posted at 2:42 AM  
    I bet the pool is gorgeous - what a fascinating building.
  4. Blogger chris.h. posted at 6:10 AM  
    facinating building---you WILL show us some more sometime wont you? lol
  5. Blogger EPLUIM posted at 9:30 AM  
    That is a pretty building! :) A pools? That seems so out of place.
  6. Blogger mea posted at 10:03 AM  
    Chris & Nicola- I will certainly photos of some of the murals and the theatre next time I get in (which should be in April).

    Sam - I'm dying to see the pool, but I'm going to have to work on finding some connections because until recently, I just thought it was urban legend.

    Bloblogz- 50 Cent was here at the Richmond Coliseum in 2003, but I don't think he's ever performed at the Landmark--now that would be a juxtaposition of styles!
  7. Blogger the sweetheart posted at 10:21 AM  
    I thought they had filled in the pool years ago...

Post a Comment

« Home